George E. Cawthon

I can't imagine why either. Don't know why it is called T1-11 either
since the stuff I have has 1.5 inch groves not 1 inch every 12
inches. If it had 1 inch grooves then the designation would make
sense. The stuff has been on my shed for nearly 30 years, stained
not painted. In a rainy climate I would much prefer paint. I used
galvanized nails and nailed through the thickest part not in the
groove.

Most houses rely on the sheathing (or at least plywood pannels in the
corners) for part of the structural rigidity. I don't see why you
wouldn't do the same with a shed and T1-11 will serve quite well.
Corner bracing with 45 degree pieces may be common some places but not
where I live. Slapping up a 4 x 8 plywood sheet is cheaper in labor
costs and doesn't decrease the insulating area thickness.

Rob Stokes wrote:

Why would properly T-111 need replacing? It's just plywood with groves cut
in it.

Install the siding to maintain a decent distance from the ground (6"
minimum). When you nail it, you can use ring shanked nail if you want (can't
hurt) , but I simply used 2" common nails in a nail gun. 6" spacing around
the perimeter, 12" in the field (middle of the sheet). Once installed, seal
the joints with a good latex caulk (DAP Alex Plus) and paint, making SURE to
paint inside the grooves to seal it. Spraying works best, followed with a
brush while the sprayed paint is still wet.

T-111 is cheap siding, but if installed correctly, will give you outdoor
siding with a "look", protection from the weather and structural rigidity as
well. If it didn;t, it wouldn't be used on so many homes.

One think to think about is,.... if you think you're going to get tired of
the look of the stuff, install it so that you can go over top of it later
with a lapped siding or ????.

Good luck
Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Leon" wrote in message
It has been my finding that T-111 eventually needs to be replaced. I

would
nail or screw it only. It would be tough to replace if you glue it also.
Also I would cut in to the studs and mount 1x4's diagonally from sole to

top
plate to add rigidity to the structure. IMHO this type siding is for
appearance and not to add support to the structure.

"jack" wrote in message
Hello,
What is the best way to nail up t-111 siding to a shed wall? I was

going
first put some construction glue on the studs, then nail the siding in

the
grooves with ring shank nails (stainless if I can find them).
I know this sounds like a very basic question, but it is my first time
doing
this.
Thanks.