Leon

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Leon" wrote in message
It has been my finding that T-111 eventually needs to be replaced. I

would
nail or screw it only. It would be tough to replace if you glue it also.
Also I would cut in to the studs and mount 1x4's diagonally from sole to

top
plate to add rigidity to the structure. IMHO this type siding is for
appearance and not to add support to the structure.

That's certainly the first time I've heard of T-111 not being suitable for
sheeting.

I did not say it was not suitable for "sheathing". I said that it
eventually needs to be replaced. Sooner than later if not properly cared
for.

There are a lot of buildings around that would seem to defy your
belief that it will not add rigidity to a structure. I do agree with your
point about not using construction adhesive.

Yes it will add rigidity but I would much rather depend on the 1x4" running
diagonally and inset into the studs. Much of the T1-11 and similar panels
that I have replaced will pull off of the house with out removing the nails.
Water penetrates at the nail holes and the wood rots. Going back to the
adhesive, it is customary to wrap the out side stud walls with a water proof
material such a tar paper to insure that water does not get into the
building through joints and seams. Gluing as you and I both agree would
require that shield be left out of the equation.