mrcheerful

"Reuben" wrote in message
m...
I have a 1983 VW Passat GL5 which is in reasonable condition barring
some serious rust on the training edges of the doors and the tailgate.
Professional repairers seem reluctant to take on repairs like this -
they want to replace the doors (possible) and the tailgate (not
possible to buy new tailgate now).
I'm considering doing the repairs myself and I'd like to hear from
anyone who has experience of this kind of job in relation to materials
and methods.
I'm realistic about what I can expect to achieve - I just want a
passable job to keep the car legal. If it turns out really well,
that's a bonus.

Thanks.

Haynes do a body work repair manual that used to include these sort of
repairs from the american angle, basically they suggest cutting away the
rusty stuff and reforming the edges as closely as possible in steel or
aluminium and fill to make it look ok. amking it look really good is very
difficult though, which is why pro body places don't take it on here, the
labour costs get ridiculous.

mrcheerful