Lee

Mo Thanku wrote:

1. What is this big round thing it seems to be connecting the soil
pipe to the white plastic connector.

Looks like a cast iron soil pipe, the most straightforward (read easy)
way to deal with it is to get a cast iron to plastic adapter and a
"question mark" shaped pan connector. Both bits available from Wickes,
surprisingly

It's usual in this case to cut the cast iron collar off - since the
adapter grips the inside of the pipe itself, not the collar.
It will work perfectly well if you leave the collar alone, but there
will be an ugly gap between the collar and the plastic adapter.
Since there was a very good reason I couldn't remove the collar on our
soil pipe, I just filled the gap with with Plumbers Mait.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.