blue

willshak wrote:
snip
That is moot where I live. There would be no reason to share the cost
since a fence cannot be placed directly on a property line. There is a
property line setback for a fence here. When I built my 6' high pool
fence some 17 years ago, the setback was 6 inches from the property line
(determined by survey). A couple of years ago, my neighbor across the
street put a fence up along his property line and the setback at that
time had been extended to 3' from the line.

Wow, that would suck, so potentially 2 neighbours could end up with a 6'
gap between their fences? What a waste of space. But then again, no
arguing over who wants what kind of fence if it's along the property
line. :-)

Since our neighbour isn't sharing our cost, we put our fence about 6" in
on our property, so it is entirely ours. If we put it in any further,
since they never intend to put up a fence we'd essentially be increasing
their property size with out fence.

snip
If I ever put up a cedar, or any untreated wood fence again, I would
seal all surfaces, especially horizontal surfaces where snow and
rainwater lay. It's mostly my rails that are rotting away. I can't even
drive nails into the somewhat solid, but loose, pickets to secure them,
because it's like driving nails into styrofoam rails.

Our 1x4 is hiding beneath a horizontal 2x4, so for anything to get
behind that one is somewhat difficult, but I don't think we'll risk not
staining. I'll stain the backs tomorrow morning, let them dry most of
the day, then stain the front of the trim when we put them up. Thanks
for telling me your cedar fence story, it helped with my decision.