Swingman

"Dave Mundt" wrote in message
Greetings and Salutations....

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 10:18:37 -0500, "Swingman"wrote:

*snip*

I am generally of a live and let live philosophy on most issues, but to

me
there is no reason a sane individual would own one of these dogs,
particularly in an urban environment. They are anti-social assault

weapons,
and no other animal, child, or human is ultimately safe around one,

except
for the owner.

I have to take some issue with this, as it is exactly like
saying all African-Americans are shiftless, promiscuous drug dealers.

Tsk tsk ... next we're going to advocate civil rights to animals?

You certainly CAN make that generalization about ANY animal that was
_specifically_ bred to attack and kill ... just as you can safely say that
any dog running loose in an urban setting is NOT receiving the proper
attention. Put the two together, particularly with an American Pit Bull, and
you're asking for trouble.

AAMOF, if you have a dog you love, _you_ damn well better make that
generalization the next time you see a pit bull running loose close by.

Here is a fairly good look at the breed and its characteristics

I grew up with one. I've no doubt there are many that are lovable creatures
in the breed (we owned a Staffordshire Terrier - given to my Dad as a gift
by the CEO of Chevron Oil Company of those days - which was basically the
same breed as American Pit Bull at the time, and while well trained and
lovable to humans and children, would attack and kill another dog in a
heartbeat, and did on more than occasion).

THe bottom line for me is that it is a bad thing to
label ANY breed of dog as "evil". The behavior of ANY dog
completely depends on the training and level of attention
that the owner gives to the dog.

Sounds good ... but I still have the scars on my hand to prove, inarguably,
that this is not correct. The pit bull that got me years later, and the
little boy, was a well trained family pet that was following his inherent
instinct to attack and kill the other dog.

I've been around dogs all my life and have never seen another domestic
animal with the instincts of the pit bull.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04