Jay Knepper

To make the bald statement that "...those pit-bulls are nasty creatures..."
is wrong.

However, I can sympathize with this view having once lived in Denver for
several years. Now Colorado is a wonderful place, but one that attracts some
unique "individuals" who live in the country for good reason--they don't
belong around people. This type, along with drug dealers and gang lords,
fancy having the meanest creatures around. A pit bull is an awesome, and
beautiful, physical specimens that, along with many breeds, can be made into
deadly weapons (If you have the stomach you might do a little reaserch to
find out what this takes). The upshot of this is that several of these
individuals owned pit bulls that were trained to be aggressive, let to run
free, and did some horrendous things to people, including children. The
Denver newspapers played the horror up to the hilt, underplaying the less
interesting fact that irresponsible oweners, and breeders, are responsible.
Denver then enacted a law that banned the breed. In my ignorance I agreed
with the law at the time. (Colorado has very recently passed a law making it
illegal to ban dogs based on breed alone, and Denver is fighting it. )

Several years after leaving CO for the Chicago suburbs, my adult daughter
was living with us and fell in love with a dog at a local humane society. It
was a pitt bull. Crunch time. I began a program to educate myself on the
breed. The library and the internet turned up a number of very enlighening
articles that made me open to the idea. The clincher was a neighbor who owns
a large, well known dog training school. She, an owner of three golden
retrievers, proclaimed that pit bulls were among her favorite dogs, and make
wonderful pets.

We adoped Mo. By the time my daughter moved out we decided that we could not
be without a dog. We now have two pit bulls. The first was bought from a
breeder and the second was rescued (a Chicago cop "took " her from a drug
dealer as a young puppy). Our dogs have been trained, loved, walked daily,
and in five years have never bitten any person, any other animal, or our
cats. We aren't unique in having great pit bulls. Most of them are cherished
family pets, and they have served our country in war, and have been owned by
individuals such as Helen Keller and Theodore Roosevelt.

It is smart to be cautious about any dog. Large, athletic breeds especially
can do damage if they have been trained to do so. The most popular breeds
tend to be overbred and thereby create some nasty animals. Remember Cocker
Spaniels of 10-20 years ago, and now, I fear, Labs are suffering from this.
But do advocate responsible ownership and don't make the mistake of
condeming a dog based on breed alone.

Now the original poster, apparently distraught at not being able to use his
".44" in what is apparently a suburban neighborhood, unwittingly presents an
argument for gun control. But that's another OT for this group.

Jay

"Prometheus" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:51:08 GMT, "Searcher"
wrote:

A dog here almost became filled with lead today, I was out in my yard with
my 3 year old son, doing a little yard work. Luckily, my siter in law was
close to my son when from around the garage came a pit bull at full
charge.
After my siter in law grabbed up my son the dog took off after another
couple walking thier dog, it was then that I retrieved my .44 with every
intention of dispatching that animal. The dog was still roaming as I was
cleaning up our garden tools and I was ready. I saw the dog take off after
another person walking his dog. I kept cleaning up and went in. I have not
seen that dog before or again. But if that dog had come near my yard it
would have been hauled off in a bag!

I love dogs, but those pit-bulls are nasty creatures. I never
understood why the people who own them seem to like to let them roam
around loose all the time.