Swingman

"Prometheus" wrote in message

The sad thing is- if a pit bull bites, it often needs to be killed to
make it release it's grip, and they do huge amounts of physical damage
to the person being bit, sometimes killing the person they attack.
Waiting until they bite someone seems like a bad policy decision, IMO!

I was raised in the country, where your dog on my land was *my* dog, subject
to whatever penalties I felt like imposing for his trespass .... and in the
case of harming my livestock or property, that was usually being shot
forthwith.

I had my right hand completely bitten through by a pit bull some years back
when rescuing a three year old boy who had somehow gotten into the middle of
the pit bull's fight with a German shepherd. Once the pit bull grabbed my
hand the dog fight was over, but damn if he didn't bite me on the other hand
during the next few minutes of me struggling to get my right hand from those
jaws (around here, they typically grab them by the balls to make them open
their mouths, but I didn't have enough hands left to try that).

I am generally of a live and let live philosophy on most issues, but to me
there is no reason a sane individual would own one of these dogs,
particularly in an urban environment. They are anti-social assault weapons,
and no other animal, child, or human is ultimately safe around one, except
for the owner.

To let one run loose in an urban situation, even accidentally, is akin to
assault with a deadly weapon and should be treated as such.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04