patrick conroy

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:33:01 GMT, Murray Peterson
wrote:

They get it, but they just don't care.

Or they see it as a calculated risk. Cheapen here, cheapen there and
see what the market reaction is. They can always put them back, slap
on a new logo and whip up a marketing campaign.

Latest Pop Woodworking has an aside talking about impending cost
increases. Manufacturers know they can't always pass them on, or pass
them on immediately - they must do it carefully. Cheapen the knobs
might be a way, in a bean-counters eyes.

With any luck - there are a number of peer groups in an organization
to keep the accountants in check. Just like the accountants nix ideas
like titanium wheels with diamond studs.

As far as I can see, this is common
to most companies in existence -- they start out with a good product, and
it gets "value engineered" into the ground, all in the name of improving
profit. This eventually drives the company out of business, since new
companies can now start up with higher quality products, and without the
tainted name.

Or - they get smart and try to course correct before Chapter 11/7.

It's very sad.

It's the natural cycle. I'm OK with it. Suppose I'm capable of
running a small shop that manufactures Router Bits. When Whiteside,
CMT, Freud and Amana give me an opening - I'll take it.

It's an opportunity!