TURTLE

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:vLz6d.1515$uY3.111@fed1read03...

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:xM56d.307309$Lj.300578@fed1read03...

I'll second that opinion. Since milk goes down the digestive tract

through
the esophagus, and air goes into the lungs through the trachea, one

would
have to snort a lot of milk to get it in the right tube. Welding

projects
that would call for the welding of ALREADY galvanized metal would be

some
shade tree poor boy operation that I wouldn't have anything to do with.

Can
you imagine how an inspector would set up parameters for inspection? It
would be impossible, not to mention a red flag for any safety man that

is
conscious.

And it isn't called "industrial neumonia", but metal fume fever, cadmium
pneumonitis, polymer fume fever, fluorocarbon pyrolysis-related

syndrome,
and many other names.

And I would use 6010 or 6011 to bite right through the little bit of
galvanize on a nut and washer. I have wirefed a lot of galvanized nuts

and
washers with no ill effects that I know of. Other people tell me they

have
noticed a change in me, but I think they're full of it.

Steve

This is Turtle.

Thank You Dr. Steve for the fine artical on Industrial Newmonia. As you

say the
Metal fumes goes into your lungs and milk goes into you digestive system.

The
Galv. metal does not start to hurt you till the vapor metal get in your

blood
stream. It fills up you red blood cell cups and causes you to not carry

oxygen
from the lungs and then the lungs start filling up with fluid or water

vapor
left in the lungs that was not carried away like it should have. Then you

drown
or have what you call Industrial Newmonia. The Calcium in the milk will

attach
it'self to the Galv. metal and be dumped out of the body. Welders are hard
headed about wearing Carbon type mask and at this time they will be given

milk
if your not going to do what your suppose to do.

Now Welding Already Galv. Metal pipe being only done by Shade Tree

welders. well
Let me let you in on a little secret here. Exxon Co. U.S.A / South

Offshore
Division has about 3/4 of all the small pipes for water and fuel supply

lines
are Galv. coated because it is the only thing that will really hold up to

the
Salt water and Rust on low pressure lines. They have demet coating for any

of
the larger lines that are subjected to high pressure and Galv. lines can't

be
used for the rust will eat out under the Galv. coating and not show up to

visiual inspection. Galv. pipe can only be used on pressure under 200 psi.

Now a
lot of it is screw pipe but better than half is socket welded and use

Galv. pipe
and fittings.

You had said that you had been acting a little strange lately while

welding some
galv. metal. Hey it has a long term effect on you and also it will make

all your
kids and grand kids all be born nake. Watch out here to prevent this.

TURTLE

I always regard highly the advice and posts of a Fellow International
Society of Oilfield Trash member.

I was once kicked off a Reading and Bates platform for not putting guys into
an unsafe situation. I found out from an attormey that OSHA rules do not
apply in international waters. And if the platform is attatched to the
seafloor, it doesn't come under the Jones Act. And there are exclusions to
the Longshoreman and Harbor Workers Act. So, offshore companies have lots
of leeway in what they can and can't do.

But to quote the common phrase offshore, "Just get it!" meaning get it done
no matter what it takes or how you have to do it, and I don't want to know.

Steve

This is Turtle.

I worked offshore about 200 miles in international waters and OSHA did inspect
the plateforms for what you may thinks as unsafe conditions but in reality they
are looking for for any condition that may cause the oil to be dumped into the
Gulf of Mexico. I worked offshore for Exxon Co. U.S.A. for 10 years as a
operator and not one time was I ask anything at all about a unsafe condition for
people or employees on the plate at all. All of the conversation that i had with
OSHA was about what condition would cause oil to be dumped into the Gulf and
never a word about a unsafe condition for Peoples or employees. There was a
plateform named West Delta-Block 30 Plateform [ nick named "" Dirty-30 "" ] that
just about burnt up and 6
employees was killed. OSHA came out for about 30 minutes and looked at nothing
but the well heads and the cause of the oil that was dumped into the Gulf. I
later ead their report about the oil in the Gulf but there was no words of
anykind about the 6 employees that was burnt up. As far as they were concerned
the employees were just SS# numbers that had to be replaced and spoke not a word
about their passing or about them at all.

USGS was the same way.

TURTLE