zxcvbob

Default E7014 welding rod on plated steel

I need to weld a 3/4"-10 nut to its washer. I'm gonna run a little bead
around one corner (2 sides), and then the opposite corner, and leave the
other 2 sides unwelded so it doesn't crack when it cools.

All the nuts and washers I could find were zinc plated, although they
are bright and don't look anything like hot galvanized. Can I use a
7014 electrode on plated metal, or do I need to use a 6011? I haven't
welded anything in years, so I'd rather not use a 6011 because they are
hard to handle and splatter all over the place.

I could braze it with a torch, but this is a good opportunity to play
with the arc welder I bought last year at a rummage sale.

Thanks, regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Texan wrote:

In article , says...

I could braze it with a torch, but this is a good opportunity to play
with the arc welder I bought last year at a rummage sale.

Thanks, regards,
Bob

The plating on the nuts are most likely cadmium, not zinc, if they are
bright. As far as welding on them, you need to grind or burn the plating
off before you do the welding. The plating will cause the welding puddle
to splatter and get the plating in the weld metal and cause porosity (gas
bobbles in the weld area) making the weld weak and crack.

The E-7014 will produces a lot of Iron power flux that will remind on the
weld and its hard to tell when you have actually got the two parts welded
together. The flux causes the weld puddle to stay hot and liquated longer
(by keeping the heat in). It also hard to remove. The 70 prefix means
70,000 tensely strength.

The E-6011 is called a fast-freeze rod. (little if any flux left so the
puddle cools real quick) and would be better for you situation because it
will blow any impurities (the burnt plating) away from the puddle.

Both rods can be welded using AC or DC current, straight or reverse
polarity.

Thanks. I thought the plating might cause trouble. I have a box of
E6011, but I'll have to practice on some scrap before I try to weld
anything real (from what I remember it's easy to burn thru with 6011.)

I thought I had a box of E6013; the depositation rate is slow enough for
6013 that it might burn away the plating, but I doubt it -- not that it
matters cuz I don't have any and it would be silly to buy a pound for
such a tiny project.

For someone out of practice what would be the easiest to use with 6011,
AC, DCEP, or DCEN? It doesn't matter much what the welds look like
because nobody will be able to see them when everything is assembled.

Best regards,
Bob
TURTLE

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I need to weld a 3/4"-10 nut to its washer. I'm gonna run a little bead around
one corner (2 sides), and then the opposite corner, and leave the other 2 sides
unwelded so it doesn't crack when it cools.

All the nuts and washers I could find were zinc plated, although they are
bright and don't look anything like hot galvanized. Can I use a 7014
electrode on plated metal, or do I need to use a 6011? I haven't welded
anything in years, so I'd rather not use a 6011 because they are hard to
handle and splatter all over the place.

I could braze it with a torch, but this is a good opportunity to play with the
arc welder I bought last year at a rummage sale.

Thanks, regards,
Bob

This is Turtle.

The best two rods I have ever seen was P-5 stringer rod just for tack welding &
the first pass on a butt weld and the 6018 for fill in the welds. All the pipe
lines use these rod because of their strength to hold up up pressure.

I don't know about the other rods spoke about.

TURTLE

Bob K 207

they're probably electro plated, I use black steel when I need to weld nuts.

If you cannot get black steel jsut drop the plated ones in a little pool acid
until they stop fizzing.

welding zinc coated stuff gives off hazardous fumes.

http://www.acc.co.nz/injury-preventi.../action/hazard
-management/tasks/plant/welding/

Welding galvanised or zinc plated metals can result in the inhalation of

zinc oxide fume and cause metal fume fever.

but a hand full of nuts and very good ventilation???????? YMMV

cheers
Bob
Bob K 207

btw 7014 is great stuff for those of us who are welding challenged
zxcvbob

Bob K 207 wrote:
Welding galvanised or zinc plated metals can result in the inhalation of

zinc oxide fume and cause metal fume fever.

but a hand full of nuts and very good ventilation???????? YMMV

cheers
Bob

One nut and one washer, and I'll be welding outside. (unless I ruin them
and have to try again) I know about and am not worried about the zinc
fumes under the circumstances, but I appreciate your concern.

Etching the zinc off with acid is a good idea. Thanks.

Bob
SteveB

" "zxcvbob" wrote in message
I need to weld a 3/4"-10 nut to its washer. I'm gonna run a little bead

around
one corner (2 sides), and then the opposite corner, and leave the other 2

sides
unwelded so it doesn't crack when it cools.

All the nuts and washers I could find were zinc plated, although they

are
bright and don't look anything like hot galvanized. Can I use a 7014
electrode on plated metal, or do I need to use a 6011? I haven't welded
anything in years, so I'd rather not use a 6011 because they are hard to
handle and splatter all over the place.

I could braze it with a torch, but this is a good opportunity to play

with the
arc welder I bought last year at a rummage sale.

Thanks, regards,
Bob

6010 will cut right through the galvanize. There will be so little fumes
from a couple of nuts and washers I wouldn't worry about it. A 7014 will
have a lot of iron powder, and might give you too large of a puddle or too
much filler to weld these things very well. I personally would use a E6010
DCRP, that is stinger positive. Whip the rod to stack the puddles. With
the E7014, you can't whip the rod or you will lose the arc. With the E6010,
when you have put enough fill metal in one spot, you can whip out and come
back for another puddle next to the last one. If you have some 3/32" 6010,
that would be best.

IMHO, that is. If it was in my shop, that's how I would do it. 6010 is an
amazing rod, but it runs hot, and blows holes easily. It has deep
penetration because of its polarity. For lighter things, I like E6011 DCEN,
but that wouldn't give you the penetration into the nut that you need. In
fact, in my welding book, E6011 isn't even listed as a DCEN rod, only AC and
DCEP. DCEN= dc current electrode negative. I have used 3/32" E6011 DCEN
to repair .065 wrought iron in the field.

Steve

TURTLE

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Bob K 207 wrote:
Welding galvanised or zinc plated metals can result in the inhalation
of

zinc oxide fume and cause metal fume fever.

but a hand full of nuts and very good ventilation???????? YMMV

cheers
Bob

One nut and one washer, and I'll be welding outside. (unless I ruin them and
have to try again) I know about and am not worried about the zinc fumes under
the circumstances, but I appreciate your concern.

Etching the zinc off with acid is a good idea. Thanks.

Bob

This is Turtle.

If your welding on Zinc coating or Galvanizing coated and even in the outdoor.
Your going to pick up on the vapors and will give you Industrial Neumona . The
cure to prevent you from screwing up your lungs. Drink 2 to 4 oz. of milk before
starting,. then every 1 to 2 hour of welding drink 2 to 4 oz. of milk to counter
react the poisin effect of the fumes. This is not a cure but will slow down any
effects of the vapors on your body. The milk has calcium which will attach
it'self to the zinc or Galv. vapors material while in your blood stream and it
will be taken out by you kindeys. You can use anyother stuff with calcium in it.

TURTLE

Mikey S.

I understand your concern but isn't this getting carried away? I believe
the guy is welding ONE nut to ONE washer and doing it outside.
Even if he screws it up and has to weld TWO..I don't think he will get
enough zinc to matter.
Unless the nut is the prop nut for a tanker or battleship :-)

FWIW..Ive welded a few small galvanized objects with no ill effects noted.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

"TURTLE" wrote in message

If your welding on Zinc coating or Galvanizing coated and even in the
outdoor. Your going to pick up on the vapors and will give you Industrial
Neumona . The cure to prevent you from screwing up your lungs. Drink 2 to
4 oz. of milk before starting,. then every 1 to 2 hour of welding drink 2
to 4 oz. of milk to counter react the poisin effect of the fumes. This is
not a cure but will slow down any effects of the vapors on your body. The
milk has calcium which will attach it'self to the zinc or Galv. vapors
material while in your blood stream and it will be taken out by you
kindeys. You can use anyother stuff with calcium in it.

TURTLE

TURTLE

"Mikey S." wrote in message
I understand your concern but isn't this getting carried away? I believe the
guy is welding ONE nut to ONE washer and doing it outside.
Even if he screws it up and has to weld TWO..I don't think he will get enough
zinc to matter.
Unless the nut is the prop nut for a tanker or battleship :-)

FWIW..Ive welded a few small galvanized objects with no ill effects noted.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

Mikey , This may seem to you as a getting carried away here but if this fellow
weld a nut with no effect today and then next week says well i think I'm going
to build me a new trailor for my truck and will be using the Galv. metal. If he
did not get told about the effects and what to do. he will walk off into a real
problem down the road. The discussion here is really to just know about the
problems that can come up down the road with welding the Galv. Metal and getting
Industrial Neumonia. I have a friend years back that spent 3 days in the
hospital building 3 trailors for his company to haul shingles off with and would
not have been sent to the hospital if he just had 3 - 6 oz. cartons of milk. A
$1.50 worth of milk would have stopped a $3,000.00 doctor and hospital bill and
also a week off work to boot. Everytime he welds Galv. metal from now on, he has
a carton of milk handy.

Everything you say on the Newsgroups can effect someone down the road
somewhere's.

TURTLE

zxcvbob

TURTLE wrote:
"Mikey S." wrote in message

[...]

The milk thing is interesting; thanks. I soaked the nut and washer in
some phosphoric acid and etched all the zinc off so I can use a 7014 or
6013 electrode instead of 6011, so it's a moot point -- this time. If I
ever have to weld more than a piddly little amount of galvanized steel,
I'll drink a bunch of milk *and* see if I can find a respirator.

Bob
TURTLE

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
TURTLE wrote:
"Mikey S." wrote in message

[...]

Both the Respirator or the milk works fine. A couple of ounces of milk will work
wonders.

TURTLE

Dave

You spelled 'neumonia' wrong. I think the milk advice is bizarre medical
info, from laypeople who should know better. As to the welding rod, 6011
works fine for small jobs like this, and I wouldn't worry about the
miniscule amount of ionized heavy metal. Professional welders do this all
the time, and 'industrial neumonia' is surprisingly uncommon.

Dave

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
TURTLE wrote:
"Mikey S." wrote in message

[...]

SteveB

"Dave" wrote in message
You spelled 'neumonia' wrong. I think the milk advice is bizarre

medical
info, from laypeople who should know better. As to the welding rod, 6011
works fine for small jobs like this, and I wouldn't worry about the
miniscule amount of ionized heavy metal. Professional welders do this all
the time, and 'industrial neumonia' is surprisingly uncommon.

Dave

I'll second that opinion. Since milk goes down the digestive tract through
the esophagus, and air goes into the lungs through the trachea, one would
have to snort a lot of milk to get it in the right tube. Welding projects
that would call for the welding of ALREADY galvanized metal would be some
shade tree poor boy operation that I wouldn't have anything to do with. Can
you imagine how an inspector would set up parameters for inspection? It
would be impossible, not to mention a red flag for any safety man that is
conscious.

And it isn't called "industrial neumonia", but metal fume fever, cadmium
pneumonitis, polymer fume fever, fluorocarbon pyrolysis-related syndrome,
and many other names.

And I would use 6010 or 6011 to bite right through the little bit of
galvanize on a nut and washer. I have wirefed a lot of galvanized nuts and
washers with no ill effects that I know of. Other people tell me they have
noticed a change in me, but I think they're full of it.

Steve

TURTLE

"Dave" wrote in message
You spelled 'neumonia' wrong. I think the milk advice is bizarre medical
info, from laypeople who should know better. As to the welding rod, 6011 works
fine for small jobs like this, and I wouldn't worry about the miniscule amount
of ionized heavy metal. Professional welders do this all the time, and
'industrial neumonia' is surprisingly uncommon.

Dave

This is Turtle

Yea thank you for telling me how to spell Newmonia the right way.

Well about the Milk with welding of Galv. metal. Well I will send a e-mail and
call the Exxon Co. U.S.A. Refinery in Bayton, Texas and the Offshore Division in
the Gulf of Mexico to straighten them out for requiring welders and fitters to
drink the milk or wear carbon type filter mask when welding the Galv. Metal.

Well about Professional welders welding galv. metal all the timer and not having
Newmonia. The reason you don't see it is all the big company that have employees
who do this drink milk or wear carbon filer mask. The only time you see
Industrial Newmonia is when shade tree and small company do jobs and don't care
about their workers and you will see it pop up.

TURTLE

TURTLE

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Thank You Dr. Steve for the fine artical on Industrial Newmonia. As you say the
Metal fumes goes into your lungs and milk goes into you digestive system. The
Galv. metal does not start to hurt you till the vapor metal get in your blood
stream. It fills up you red blood cell cups and causes you to not carry oxygen
from the lungs and then the lungs start filling up with fluid or water vapor
left in the lungs that was not carried away like it should have. Then you drown
or have what you call Industrial Newmonia. The Calcium in the milk will attach
it'self to the Galv. metal and be dumped out of the body. Welders are hard
headed about wearing Carbon type mask and at this time they will be given milk
if your not going to do what your suppose to do.

Now Welding Already Galv. Metal pipe being only done by Shade Tree welders. well
Let me let you in on a little secret here. Exxon Co. U.S.A / South Offshore
Division has about 3/4 of all the small pipes for water and fuel supply lines
are Galv. coated because it is the only thing that will really hold up to the
Salt water and Rust on low pressure lines. They have demet coating for any of
the larger lines that are subjected to high pressure and Galv. lines can't be
used for the rust will eat out under the Galv. coating and not show up to a
visiual inspection. Galv. pipe can only be used on pressure under 200 psi. Now a
lot of it is screw pipe but better than half is socket welded and use Galv. pipe
and fittings.

You had said that you had been acting a little strange lately while welding some
galv. metal. Hey it has a long term effect on you and also it will make all your
kids and grand kids all be born nake. Watch out here to prevent this.

TURTLE

SteveB

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

I always regard highly the advice and posts of a Fellow International
Society of Oilfield Trash member.

I was once kicked off a Reading and Bates platform for not putting guys into
an unsafe situation. I found out from an attormey that OSHA rules do not
apply in international waters. And if the platform is attatched to the
seafloor, it doesn't come under the Jones Act. And there are exclusions to
the Longshoreman and Harbor Workers Act. So, offshore companies have lots
of leeway in what they can and can't do.

But to quote the common phrase offshore, "Just get it!" meaning get it done
no matter what it takes or how you have to do it, and I don't want to know.

Steve

TURTLE

"SteveB" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

I worked offshore about 200 miles in international waters and OSHA did inspect
the plateforms for what you may thinks as unsafe conditions but in reality they
are looking for for any condition that may cause the oil to be dumped into the
Gulf of Mexico. I worked offshore for Exxon Co. U.S.A. for 10 years as a
operator and not one time was I ask anything at all about a unsafe condition for
people or employees on the plate at all. All of the conversation that i had with
OSHA was about what condition would cause oil to be dumped into the Gulf and
never a word about a unsafe condition for Peoples or employees. There was a
plateform named West Delta-Block 30 Plateform [ nick named "" Dirty-30 "" ] that
just about burnt up and 6
employees was killed. OSHA came out for about 30 minutes and looked at nothing
but the well heads and the cause of the oil that was dumped into the Gulf. I
later ead their report about the oil in the Gulf but there was no words of
anykind about the 6 employees that was burnt up. As far as they were concerned
the employees were just SS# numbers that had to be replaced and spoke not a word
about their passing or about them at all.

USGS was the same way.

TURTLE

SteveB

"TURTLE" wrote

[...]

Yup. That is why I retired after only eight years. I was lucky. I had
injuries, but came home with all my fingers and toes. Safety offshore is a
joke, although it is a little better these days than in the boom years of
the seventies.

Steve

TURTLE

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

I was there in the latye 70's and 80's and safety was a word used for protecting
the Bottom line / profit margin. If a company could say they did a change in the
work or operation to make the job sight safer. The company would get a double
write off for the cost of that work to be done.

i was on a helicopter flight coming in from 200 miles out and it lost the tail
rotor and went down in 20 foot sea's and 70 knot winds. The crash killed 2 ,
crippled up 3 / had to retire on medical, and like to have killed the rest of us
with hipothermia stuff. All our body temperatures got down to 86ºF to 88ºF being
in the cold water and air and just about took the rest of us out that away. The
Tail Rotor driver couplings was suppose to be greased every 30 days with out no
exceptions. The Tail Rotor driver couplings had no grease in them and were
installed 9 month before and at that time no grease was put in them. When the
$28 mil. cost bill for the accident came up and the $14 Mil. law suites started
fling. The three company involved blamed the $8.00 a hour 18 year old kid as
greaser for the problem and ordered him to pay the for all damages. They also
fired him and how in the hell is this fellow going to pay the $42 Mil. price tag
without a job.

I was the Union Stewart for the District and did have a few words about getting
better and more safe transportation to and from offshore. 2 years later, I was
not working for them anymore. I wonder if this had anything to do with it for i
was told to keep my mouth shut about this?

TURTLE

SteveB

"TURTLE" wrote

I was the Union Stewart for the District and did have a few words about
getting better and more safe transportation to and from offshore. 2 years
later, I was not working for them anymore. I wonder if this had anything
to do with it for i was told to keep my mouth shut about this?

TURTLE

Nah............ ya don't think .................

TURTLE

"SteveB" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote

I was the Union Stewart for the District and did have a few words about
getting better and more safe transportation to and from offshore. 2 years
later, I was not working for them anymore. I wonder if this had anything to
do with it for i was told to keep my mouth shut about this?

TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Nah ..... Couldn't be that .

TURTLE

Soldering aluminum tubing to steel sheet metal Racer X Metalworking 8 May 15th 04 12:16 AM
Concrete Floor Question E5I5O Home Repair 9 February 17th 04 01:28 PM
Plastering onto steel Frank Z UK diy 9 July 31st 03 01:18 PM
Would welding the steel in re-enforced concrete add any value? BigWallop UK diy 3 July 12th 03 06:25 PM