Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Then take the centre out with a hammer and bolster
or SDS chisel bit. ~8 times out of 10 I can do this so no filler is
needed around the hole and the socket/switch plate completely covers
the cut edge. My score for perfect holes (need no filler) with a box
sinker was probably lowerer than 3 out of 10.

But surely you've got to make good where the wires cross the wall, so
what's the point of making the hole perfect?

If you're looking to not make a mess, then you don't make the
wires cross the wall. You come through from the back, or drill
from the back of the hole steeply down to come out on the other
side under the floor, or maybe you're swapping out a single for
a double socket. For data/phone wires, I've used an 8mm 18" bit
to drill down from the bottom side of the box to under the floor,
and then drill into the wall under the floor to meet it with a
20-25mm bit so you can get your finger in to coax the wires out.

Sure, they'll be times you can't avoid channeling across a wall,
but often you can. even if you are channeling across the wall,
minimsing the repair work around the socket normally gives a
better result unless you are about to decorate the room anyway.

--
Andrew Gabriel