Andy Hall

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:22:41 +0000 (UTC), mike ring
wrote:

wrote in :

While I use the internet heavily I've really never found much use for
a mobile phone. I have one and it gets used about two or three times
a year (yes, really!). For that reason I have it on a Virgin PAYG
account so it costs nothing when I don't use it.

Me too, mine is strictly for emergencies, and is always switched off unless
there's family trouble about.

I call my answering machine occasionally to keep the account alive.

I hope I never use it, the only numbers in it are breakdown insurance and
next of kin,

I'm totally baffled by the mobile phone culture - except for tradesmen, and
I even know one who won't accept calls on his mobile, they cause too much
disruption to earning a crust.

mike

For some people, especially kids, it's certainly cultural.

It's an important business tool as well.
I spend a lot of time travelling around the rest of Europe on business
and it has become a pretty essential tool to maintain contact with
business partners and customers by voice, text message and even
internet connection when there is no alternative. Introduction of
wireless LAN hotspots has made a big difference to staying in contact
by email etc., and increasingly hotels have hotspots or wired high
speed internet connections. Business applications have expanded to
make use of these technologies so they become an essential part of
daily life.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl