chris French

In message , Andy Kelly
writes

create the hole for the box. Recently I have seen these Box Sinker Sets

that
fit to an SDS drill to create a perfect hole and they also are used to
channel the wall out for the cable, has anyone any experience of using
these? If so, are they worth the investment? (not just for one job), or

has
anyone got any other tips for me to make the job easier and neater.

They are not worth the money for 1 hole and if your wall is brieze block or
cinder block the box sinker will rip the wall apart.

Focus do a frame that you screw to the wall. It has about 30 holes in it
that you drill through. When you unscrew it from the wall you get the right
size & shape hole. You'll need to use a bolster a bit but I find it much
easier to use than a box sinker and much cheaper.

Not worth it with an SDS IMO. I just use a chisel bit in the SDS drill
and chop out the whole using that, can do one in few minutes, usually
leaves a reasonably neat hole.

Two problem that are likely to occur are not being able to get a fixing
because of the nearness of joints to the fixing holes and chunks of
brick coming out making it hard to fix flat.

For the former I use a good dollop of No more Nails, push the box firm
into the whole, leave to go firm (takes a while) then plaster back in.

For the latter, I use a bit of quicksetting cement (plain mortar will
do though. Slap some in whole to make it up, push box into it, leave to
set- I usually push a couple of plugs into and then screw into them as
well when dry if no other fixing.
--
Chris French, Leeds