Richard Porter

On 27 Sep 2004 "Paul S" wrote:

I will shortly be changing the position of my electrical sockets in one of
my bedrooms. Currently they are surface mounted sockets, but for neatness I
would like to take this opportunity to change them to flush fitting sockets.
When I have previously attempted to fix back boxes into walls on previous
jobs, I have always had problems getting the box square, and sitting flush
in the wall. I have previously only used a drill, hammer and bolster to
create the hole for the box. Recently I have seen these Box Sinker Sets that
fit to an SDS drill to create a perfect hole and they also are used to
channel the wall out for the cable, has anyone any experience of using
these? If so, are they worth the investment? (not just for one job), or has
anyone got any other tips for me to make the job easier and neater.

I've always done it the hard way. Mark out the position first and get
it level using a spirit level then score with a Stanley knife and
carefully remove the surface plaster. You can be a bit rougher taking
out the undercoat and brickwork (usually composite blocks on the inside
these days). The hole can be slightly oversize so you can level the box if
necessary. Check along a line between the screw holes. Make sure the box
goes in beyond the wall surface.

I stick the box in with Polyfiller and tap in a couple of galvanised
nails to hold it while it sets. Channelling is straightforward, but
again score the lines and take out the plaster a bit at a time with a
sharp chisel. Using a bolster is likely to crack the plaster where you
don't want it to crack.

--
Richard Porter
Mail to username ricp at domain minijem.plus.com