Larry Jaques

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:59:10 +0100, Andy Dingley
calmly ranted:

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:07:50 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Oiling it?

Either oiling or waxing. Although I've no idea what I ought to be
oiling it with. I'm using modern stuff, all the hopefully
"traditional" candidates for an oil that I've tried have turned yellow
in a couple of months. I still have no idea what the real oil would
have been.

The reason I asked is because I hadn't heard of oiling it.

I do some paper and book conservation work too, so I already have
stacks of Japanese papers to hand. NB - It's Kozo (mulberry) paper
that's used here, or maybe Gampi for small pieces - it's never "rice
paper" !

Can you recommend any good books on bookbinding? I asked the
local library and they didn't know. That really surprised me.
I fixed one broken back with a silly application of Shoe Goop,
but that was for a workbook, not a valuable item. I have some
old Harvard Classics I'd like to firm up before sale and I
want to do them properly.

Are you doing Japanese-style bookbinding?

* Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
* --Noah * http://www.diversify.com