MrCheerful

Default It just goes round and round

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Hi

Been trying to undo the washing machine drum central nut, but the drum
just goes round. We couldnt stop it turning, so couldnt undo the nut.
How to stop the drum rotating??

I did think of jamming wood between a drum pulley rib and a rib of the
outer tub (drum's outer casing), but the pressure on it would be
enormous, many times the force put on the bar driving the nut, so i
didnt want to smash the tub doing that.

How do you folks do it?

Regards, NT

Easiest I find is an impact wrench, but average mech. doesn't have one.
Usual method otherwise is to chock web of wheel with wood block. Because
the wood is placed at the outer edge of the wheel the forces are not as much
as you might imagine because of the extra leverage. If you have a good
fitting spanner then the whack with a piece of 4 by 2 on the spanner may
work.

MrCheerful