Roger

"LarryK" wrote in message
m...

Now, I am ready to paint my ceiling. What should I use as a primer?
It seems like there are two schools of thought regarding primer. Some
people claim that oil based primers give a better surface while other
people say PVA is good. What do people think? I don't want to mess up
this ceiling after working so hard on it. I certainly don't want some
watery primer to loosen my ceiling and cause it to fall...

What do people think? It would be great if people could list some
brand names they've used. I get confused with the number of different
brands.

I would think any quality primer should work, acrylic or alkyd. The alcohol
based Zinsser has an advantage of drying in less than an hour, but I doubt
whether it makes any difference what primer you use, as long as you read
labels. There is also a first-coat primer especially for joint compound
sealing. That is sometimes put on, followed by an undercoat (levelling
paint) , if you want a really smoothe surface. Also, ask a real paint
professional - in a paint store you trust, to confirm your final decision..