Roger

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
The facia boards have rotted out in several spots on my 1921 house.

I'm thinking I can pull the long nails from the gutters (they go
through the facia board into the ends of the rafters) so the gutters
are loose, then prop up the whole line above the roof edge with poles
or braces, then sneak in behind them and install new primed and
painted facia boards.

Does this sound feasible? Can I get away with it? Or is there some
other technique I should consider? Or is saving the gutters a pipe
dream?

I think it would be better to remove the gutters, altho with seamless, you
have a real awkward and fragile/bendable bundle to remove, if you have long
runs. Probably a multi-person job. I kinda like your idea, tho, of
sequentially removing then propping up the gutters onto the roof edge,
perhaps with bricks on the downhill side of the gutters. Also, think about
the fascia material. Trex or some synthetic may be a better choice than
wood. Whatever you choose, you don't want to mess with removing the gutters
again. The fact that the wood is rotting off suggests the lips/troughs of
the roof tiles do not clear the drip-edge,causing water to curve around -
search google for the "coanda effect" , which turns the water directly onto
the fascia and rafter-ends.. That may have to be addressed to keep even the
eave rafters from rotting; let alone the attached fascia.