Albert

Use a 2 foot by 4 foot panel for built-in fluorescents. Cut it up in
1 foot square segments. Mount each segment underneath your
recessed fixture, suspending it about 1". You will have a 1
squarefoot light fixture. The key is in diffusing the bright light.
Probably will look like super-modern lighting fixtures that
nobody else can boast about.

Hey Walter, you might be on to something. I see your reasoning! If I
can distribute the light so that it APPEARS to radiate from a 1 foot
square surface, then that might solve the problem.

Along these lines, I took one of the large prism plastic diffusers
from the new kitchen lighting (which is twin 4 foot tubes in a flush
mount box) and held it over the opening of the existing recessed
fixture. The area under the light got much darker however, indicating
that the prism diffuser absorbs alot of light. I used the light meter
in the camera and determined that the light loss is about 3 db or 50
percent. That sure blows the 'economical' aspect compact florescent
operation all to HELL.

The company makes 2 diffusers that accomplish the same thing. I just
got done testing them, one reduces the light output by 60 percent and
the other by 55 percent.

I was hoping for a lower loss solution.

Does anyone make a low loss prism type bezel????? Strictly speaking, a
prism type bezel should be nearly loss less. I wonder if a fresnel
lens placed close to the lamp would provide less loss and achieve the
same objective???

Regards,

Art in Maine