Serendipity

N wrote:

Serendipity wrote in message ...

N wrote:

(Don) wrote in message . com...

I have a 1700 square foot house on a crawl space foundation with the
bedrooms on one end of the house and a living room/dining room/kitchen
on the other. I have propane water and heat.

To make a long story short the living room/dining room/kitchen area
stays colder than the rest of the house. I have had the system looked
at and it is working fine.

Sounds like my place! That big living area is hotter in summer and
harder to air condition too.

We have an open concept house. One thing that hasn't been mentioned on
this thread is installing and using a ceiling fan. These are very
economical winter or summer and more so for open concept or large spaces.

I've always been a little suspicious of the idea that ceiling fans
were helpful in winter. It seems to me that the warm air from my
heating system would mix with the cooler air anyway and that a fan
wouldn't help much, if at all. I've always suspected the idea that a
ceiling fan is useful in winter is a ploy to sell more ceiling fans,
but I could be wrong.

I think the effectiveness depends on the design of the area in which the
fan is in. In an open concept living area, the ceiling fan improves the
air circulation. This would be especially helpful when using a radient
heat source suce as baseboard heaters or a wood stove. In the winter,
you set the fan so that it blows the hot air from the ceiling to the floor

However, ceiling fans in hot weather can be great! I used to live w/o
AC (couldn't afford it) and the ceiling fan over my bed was so
effective that on hot summer nights with the fan running, I'd
sometimes wake up after a few hours because I was so cold.