TURTLE

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I need to weld a 3/4"-10 nut to its washer. I'm gonna run a little bead around
one corner (2 sides), and then the opposite corner, and leave the other 2 sides
unwelded so it doesn't crack when it cools.

All the nuts and washers I could find were zinc plated, although they are
bright and don't look anything like hot galvanized. Can I use a 7014
electrode on plated metal, or do I need to use a 6011? I haven't welded
anything in years, so I'd rather not use a 6011 because they are hard to
handle and splatter all over the place.

I could braze it with a torch, but this is a good opportunity to play with the
arc welder I bought last year at a rummage sale.

Thanks, regards,
Bob

This is Turtle.

The best two rods I have ever seen was P-5 stringer rod just for tack welding &
the first pass on a butt weld and the 6018 for fill in the welds. All the pipe
lines use these rod because of their strength to hold up up pressure.

I don't know about the other rods spoke about.

TURTLE