zxcvbob

Texan wrote:

In article , says...

I could braze it with a torch, but this is a good opportunity to play
with the arc welder I bought last year at a rummage sale.

Thanks, regards,
Bob

The plating on the nuts are most likely cadmium, not zinc, if they are
bright. As far as welding on them, you need to grind or burn the plating
off before you do the welding. The plating will cause the welding puddle
to splatter and get the plating in the weld metal and cause porosity (gas
bobbles in the weld area) making the weld weak and crack.

The E-7014 will produces a lot of Iron power flux that will remind on the
weld and its hard to tell when you have actually got the two parts welded
together. The flux causes the weld puddle to stay hot and liquated longer
(by keeping the heat in). It also hard to remove. The 70 prefix means
70,000 tensely strength.

The E-6011 is called a fast-freeze rod. (little if any flux left so the
puddle cools real quick) and would be better for you situation because it
will blow any impurities (the burnt plating) away from the puddle.

Both rods can be welded using AC or DC current, straight or reverse
polarity.

Thanks. I thought the plating might cause trouble. I have a box of
E6011, but I'll have to practice on some scrap before I try to weld
anything real (from what I remember it's easy to burn thru with 6011.)

I thought I had a box of E6013; the depositation rate is slow enough for
6013 that it might burn away the plating, but I doubt it -- not that it
matters cuz I don't have any and it would be silly to buy a pound for
such a tiny project.

For someone out of practice what would be the easiest to use with 6011,
AC, DCEP, or DCEN? It doesn't matter much what the welds look like
because nobody will be able to see them when everything is assembled.

Best regards,
Bob