zxcvbob

Default E7014 welding rod on plated steel

I need to weld a 3/4"-10 nut to its washer. I'm gonna run a little bead
around one corner (2 sides), and then the opposite corner, and leave the
other 2 sides unwelded so it doesn't crack when it cools.

All the nuts and washers I could find were zinc plated, although they
are bright and don't look anything like hot galvanized. Can I use a
7014 electrode on plated metal, or do I need to use a 6011? I haven't
welded anything in years, so I'd rather not use a 6011 because they are
hard to handle and splatter all over the place.

I could braze it with a torch, but this is a good opportunity to play
with the arc welder I bought last year at a rummage sale.

Thanks, regards,
Bob