"JMartin" wrote in message ewsgroups.com...
"Don" wrote in message
om...

(snip)

I have a fire place "insert" with chimney. The house is about 6 years
old. Wanted to put in a gas log but my gas bill is crazy. I have to
get my tank filled up 3 or 4 times a year.

snip

Gas logs are designed for aethestic purposes only. They are not designed
for heating and are very inefficient at doing so.

When they are installed, it is a common practice to put a stop in the
chimney damper, thus making it impossible to close the flue up. This is to
prevent CO problems, but you then have a constant drain of heat from your
house...straight up the chimney.

Yep. Someone gave us our gas log as a gift, which I appreciate, but
the gas log situation is exactly as you describe above.

I'd stuff some insulation up the chimney when the gas logs aren't in
use, but that idea makes my wife nervous. So yearround, it's a hole in
the house.

(snip)