HA HA Budys Here

From: Karen

"Karen" wrote in message
. ..
I was having problems with my lights becoming very dim in the house then
coming back on very quickly, along with some other problems. I called
the local electric company and he checked the feed? coming in my house
and said it was fine. He then opened and looked at my circuit breakers.
He said they were very old and rusty and if it was his house he would
replace all of them.
He showed me how easy it was and just pulled one out, no screws holding
it or anything. He said it was a job I could safely and easily do
myself. He made it look very easy. Yesterday I went outside, which is
where my breaker box is and was going to remove one and take it to the
store and get a couple and replace them. They just snap in on one side,
the inner side and when pulled out they do not have electricity flowing
through them,,,he said
Is there a web site that shows how to do this? He pulled it out very
easy, I can't seem to do this. Maybe I'm not strong enough, could I use
something to pry this out?
Thanks

Karen: Be careful please.
It would be best to turn off ALL power in the house by switching off the
single main circuit breaker before you pull out individual circuit breakers.
Even if each circuit breaker is off (and as you mentioned possibly faulty?)
there is electricity on the buss bars below, into which the circuit breakers
are plugged. And if something such as a metal screwdriver being used to pry
out the breakers, slipped! Zap ............ !!!!
I would not advise prying at them if you are not familar with how they
detach and attach. You could study one that has been removed to see how it
clicks, locks and or plugs in.
But you could do damage to the circuit breaker panel itself by prying
pressure exerted in the wrong place. It would be worth getting some help
since you appear to be not very familiar with electricity?
Your breakers may well be old and faulty.
If they are mounted 'outside', which is the case with some mobile homes etc.
they may be more exposed to the weather than those mounted inside. Is the
circuit breaker panel corroded in any way?
Also, and not to be negative, are you sure that the breakers are the ONLY
problem? What is the age, condition and type of your residence wiring. Is it
possibly for example, aluminum wiring? Are the switches and outlets in good
condition? Your family safety and house insurance require you to keep it in
good condition.
Are your smoke alarms installed and working? Just in case.
Not to alarm just be safe. Best of luck. Terry.

Thanks I have copper wiring and live in a house. All the houses in my
subdivision have the box on the outside. Yes the box it's self is a
little rusty but the guy said the insides looked ok, except for the age
of the breakers, which is 1967 on all of them.
I will give it another go tomorrow when it's dry outside. No I'm not
really sure the breakers are the only problem but guess I will start
with them,,,,if I can remove them
Thanks again

Make sure that, as your're replacing them, you put the correct amperage
breakers back on the same wires as previous, and in the same slot position as
well.

If you mix 2 wires up, you may end up with a couple of 220v loads not working,
or 2 120v circuits which share a neutral ending up on the same leg of your
service, which could cause a fire.