Rick Dipper

Default Fibreglass flat roof

They make boats and cars out of the stuff. the fibres are virtually indestructable.
It lasts for ever. Neerer to home, they make baths out of it ..........

In my experience, getting the resin right is important, its not hard, but look for
someone who you can verfy does it every day ........ Just the normal coyboy
avoidance.

Rick

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:06:51 -0000, "Peter Balcombe" wrote:
OK so I am cheating as I don't like heights and will get the job done for me
but I would still like some advice.

I have a large rear flat roof loft extension (roof circa 22 foot by 18
foot) which was constructed in 1980 making my semi detached bungalow into a
two storey building. It was reroofed about 7-8 years ago and is currently in
good condition. I had left it too long and got leakage so the work involved
replacement of boards, insulation etc. I am anxious not to leave it too long
again and as I have insurance policies due to mature within the next year am
adding recovering the roof to the list of projects.

The roof is currently covered in bitumen felt which I understand to have a
life of 10-15 years. I note that firms installing fibreglass flat roofs talk
of a 25 year life. As I am 57 I am attracted to the prospect of not having
to bother with flat roof repairs again in my life!

My questions are :-

Are fibre glass roofs as durable and problem free as claimed? Are there any
downsides?

What would be a realistic budget cost - I live on the fringes of Norwich?

National company or local roofing contractor?

There is a very slight fall on the roof and to date I have only had problems
when the felt failed rather than from water creep.