Gate

gerry wrote:
clip

You are correct that I'm not familiar with that particular system. Thanks
for the info (and that below)!

I'd love to know how they control latent heat without a noticeable change
in sensible AND operated at the specified SEER. That is an incredible
amount of stuff to juggle ;-)

gerry

snip

S.E.E.R -
"The total cooling output of a central air conditioner in British
thermal units during its normal usage period for cooling divided by the
total electrical energy input in watt-hours during the same period. The
test procedure is determined by the Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration
Institute."

Latent Heat -
Is defined as the heat which flows to or from a material without a
change to temperature.

Sensible Heat -
Is defined as the heat energy stored in a substance as a result of an
increase in its temperature.

Heat -
Is a form of energy that is transferred from one body (system ) to
another body (system or surroundings). Heat transfer can occur when
there is a temperature difference. Assume two bodies with different
temperatures are brought into contact with each other. The heat
transfers from the hotter body to the colder one. This will continue
until the temperature of the bodies are the same (thermal equilibrium).
The SI unit of heat is joule (J).

If you need to know more of the "basics" try he
http://www.taftan.com/thermodynamics/

Ummm... what does the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) of
equipment have to do with dehumidification?

The difference between air conditioning and dehumidification is:
Air conditioning changes sensible by transferring heat and lowering the
temperature of the air in the conditioned space where dehumidification
removes latent heat without a noticable change in sensible.

Example.
You have a basement.
In your basement you have a dehumidifier operating to remove excessive
moisture [hence dehumidify).
Does that dehumidifier make your basement and colder?

In my remarks I stated that the system I referred to enabled your home
air conditioner to act as a "whole house dehumidifier." So it removes
latent (moisture) without changing sensible - which is exactly what a
dehumidifier does...

Looky he
http://www.residential.carrier.com/r...ID3703,00.html