J. Clarke

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 08:31:03 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

But do foxed (blind wedged) tenons have any place in fine furniture ?

Why not? If you taper the mortise properly you have a hidden dovetail
which gives mechanical hold in addition to adhesive hold.

Because you can't ever dismantle them. Definite no-no in fine
furniture, because a reasonable definition of "fine" is that you're
expecting someone to still care about looking after it in 200 years
time.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite see your point. You can't dismantle a solid
board either so I guess wood has no place in "fine furniture" by your
definition.

And you don't need either tapered mortices or glue.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)