Jamie

its most likely your digital meter.
my fluke i use at work will not properly
read a field winding above a 100 ohms due
to inductive reactions. it just sits there
blinking now and then giving me an OL reading.
try putting it on DIODE mode.

John Fields wrote:

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:03:32 -0400, "Art"
wrote:

Having an open resistance reading on the primary in indicative there

has been failure within the transformer, be it an open thermal protect
device or actually a break within the actual primary wires.

---
You obviously missed the point, which was that a finite resistance
could be measured from the center tap to either end of the primary but
that the end-to-end resistance was infinite.