IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:56:20 +0100, Andy Wade
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:17:14 +0100, "IMM" wrote:
he has never seen the "ladder".

????

He's referring to the 'gable ladder' construction used to provide an
overhanging verge at a gable end. This consists of several short
horizontal timber members (running parallel to the ridge on an simple
roof) nailed to the end truss, with the barge board nailed on the
outside ends. Seen before the undercloak, felt and tiles go on this
does look like a crude sort of ladder. When the gable end brickwork is
built up it surrounds the 'rungs' of the ladder and helps tie-in the end
truss to the masonry. But there should also be steel lateral restraint
straps between the inner leaf of the wall and (at least) the first two
trusses at each end (AIUI).

I know exactly what you mean, but not by that name.

Of itself it is not lending support to the wall.

Does that mean you are not going to lean on this wall?

50 kg (only 0.5 kN) seems to me to be a pretty negligible load to hang
on a sound brick/block wall (unless you're talking about a narrow
section between window or door openings, which is hardly likely to apply
in a loft). And the weight's going to be fairly close to the wall so
the overturning moment will not be large.

For a party wall, if also structural, then I don't see an issue.
Otherwise.......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl