Andy Hall

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:39:25 GMT, "VisionSet"
wrote:

Okay, I've done a bit more research and it seems the Heat bank option has
leapt up to a ton shy of 2K so the combi is definitely still a contender.
Still looking at the actual make model options but the Worcester Bosch 40kW
HE Plus Condensing Combi is a strong possibility.

Now I still want to stick this stuff in the loft. A good location for me is
attached to the party wall. Are these upto supporting 50Kg?

As long it's a structural , load bearing wall in good condition, that
should be OK.

As far as the access requirements go at present you can pop your head
through the loft and it would be right in front of you, since the loft is
low head room (4ft max at apex) it would be more convenient for service bod
to tackle it from waste at hatch height. So hopefully just a loft ladder
will do.

You have to board and light the loft and put in a guard rail, but the
loft ladder is OK.

Other boiler options after top reliabilty/quality are satisfied may hinge on
the program options. Since it will be in the loft some sort of remote
option for the programmer would be best. I take it this is common. Though
alot seem geared to kitchen installation, 800 high, nice finish, inbuilt
digital displays - all of which are unnecessary for my loft. Suppose best
place for fault diagnostic display is on boiler.

Other than that I want max flow/heat 16 l/min @35°C rise to beat!

Well it's pretty simple. 40 kW gives 16 lpm at dT=35 degrees.
If you want more then you will need a larger boiler. There are a few
46kW models around that will give you around 18lpm but they cost
rather more - e,g, MAN Micromat 46kW combi.

Can I do the whole fitting or do I need a Corgi chap for final connection.
How is the guarantee on the boiler affected by this? Will I EVER find a
plumber willing to do JUST the hook up (twiddle, fiddle, poke, 'that's okay
mate') at a reasonable rate?

This is your choice. Legally (according to Gas Safety Installation
and Use Regulations 1998), you can DIY this if you are "competent".
This is by exception, in the sense that there is a specific
requirement (via the HSE acting as policeman) if you are installing
professionally to be a member of CORGI. The legislation does not
define competent with respect to DIY and doesn't positively mention
DIY. CORGI membership certainly does require training but of course
this is no absolute guarantee of a good job.
The HSE is certainly aware that DIY gas fitting goes on and
periodically there have been discussions about trying to stop it, but
there is no justification for doing so from the rate of problems
occuring from it, and they admit that. Plus it would be hard to
enforce.

There is now a requirement with respect to the energy saving aspects
of the Building Regulations Part L1. If you use a CORGI fitter to
do the work, then he can self certify it. Otherwise you have to apply
for a Building Notice at the local authority - cost around £100 I
believe.

It's a difficult proposition to ask a CORGI fitter to come along and
sprinkle holy water on your work for two reasons.

- It is not that interesting business-wise if they haven't supplied
and fitted.

- They are taking responsibility for your work with respect to the gas
supply and the flue. Once you have fitted them, it may be difficult
to see those and many would not touch it under those circumstances

- Most have plenty of work, so have no real need to do this for you

From a competence perspective, have a look through Ed Sirett's FAQ.
Ed is a CORGI fitter (as well as being a thoroughly nice guy), and his
comments are valuable.

The main ones are do you have a good, repeatable result with soldering
fittings together and do you understand all the issues involved before
you start?

Thoughts?
Everyone it seems loves a boiler thread

..andy