N. Thornton

wrote in message . ..
My conservatory installation seems to be turning into the installation
from hell. The current difficulty is with regard to the ridge lighting
(4 downlighters).

(If I understand it right, 20w of heat is the same whether its LV or
240v?)

20w of heat is 20w of heat, no matter what it comes from. 60w of
halogen downlighting is going to give a pretty dim light though, as
well as a not very pleasant one. And downlighters arent energy
efficient either, you need a lot of power for them to light
reasonably.

What happens to the uPVC if it gets too hot?

if it only gets semi hot, plasticisers leach out and after a few years
its discoloured, shrivelled, and very brittle. If it gets hot, it
softens and bends down - hopefully not onto anything hot. Hotter still
and it melts. If any of it could flop onto the light fitting you could
have a fire.

I dont think I'd really be comfortable with what you propose to do.

NT