jim.

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

I'm jolly glad I went to school in the second period. My first
chemistry lesson at age 11, the teacher was off sick (hum,
maybe something to that now;-). Anyway we sat at the benches
and got out some homework to do from a different class instead.
After a while, people got bored, and started pinging the tiny
ball bearings around which were on the benches. Then we discovered
that if two of them touched, they joined into a bigger ball
bearing. Of course, these were tiny globules of mercury someone
had spilt in an earlier class.

Ok nostalgia time..
I remember chatting to the science teacher and idly nudging the balls
of mercury together that were kicking about his desk.
He went ape-**** shouting the odds as to the dangers of handling liquid
mercury,
no mention of his responsibility for having it laid about where children
could handle it.
Ahh! the best days of your life eh.