Simon Stroud

"bigbrian" wrote in message

My conservatory installation seems to be turning into the installation
from hell. The current difficulty is with regard to the ridge lighting
(4 downlighters).

The electrician, who's supposed to be coming to fit them on Monday,
admits he's never fitted them into a conservatory before. The
conservatory supplier may also never have fitted them before, but I
can't get hold of anyone there. The lights are 50mm LV 20w halogen
eyeball spots, and the instructions specify 160mm void depth. How do
you fit spotlights into a conservatory ridge if they need that kind of
depth? The mains voltage variant of the same light specifies a smaller
void depth (140mm I believe), presumably because it doesn't need the
space for the transformer, rather than because they produce less heat.
(If I understand it right, 20w of heat is the same whether its LV or
240v?)

Does the heat dissipate through the aluminium? Is that a good idea?
What happens to the uPVC if it gets too hot?

I'd like to be armed with some knowledge about this when the guy from
the conservatory company calls me on Monday am to reassure me that
they know what they're doing with regard to this. Should they be
fitted outside the ridge, rather than cut out to fit into it, so that
the heat can dissipate into the air of the conservatory itself. How do
these usually work?

Thanks

Brian

Dunno how they're meant to work in that position.

In our conservatory they put in 3xLV 50W halogens just as you describe with
little plastic collars (probably only about an inch long) as extra spacers.

The (electronic I think) transformers are just slipped into the little space
in the "ridge" extrusion with its plastic clip-on cover.

They were put in when the conservatory was built, ISTR about 4-5 years ago.
Two of the bulbs lights within about 1-2 years and I STILL haven't got
around to hauling myself up there to investigate. We have managed with the
single working third light and some wall lights/table lights for a very long
time. (not to self - must get up there one day soon - it's very high up!)

The other issue is that that area at the top of the conservatory seems to
gather condensation so not a winning combination of dampness and
transformers. I really must get up there some tome and fix them - I suspect
it's not just the bulbs that are knacked.

Good luck.

Regards,
Simon.