IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , "Mungo \"two sheds\"
Toadfoot" writes
Christian McArdle wrote:
I've got a New World Royale 600 gas cooker with a self-lighting oven
- you turn the gas on and the sparker clicks away until the oven
lights.

First, how's it do that then?

Hardly rocket science.

A flame can support an electrical current. When there is a flame between
the contacts no spark, when not it jumps the gap. A flame also acts as a
diode, called flame rectification, which is also used for proving. I first
came across it in the mid 1970s.

I have a Thorn Moffat hob which has this ignition method, the best. If the
flame blows out it sparks until it relights. The hob is 24 years old and
still looks like new. It beat my new Neff by a mile, which consider naf and
its ignition system is a switch the know hits as it is turned on. If you
turn too fast it misses. Way behind the Thorn. German engineering?

Probably not, but then I don't think tiling is rocket science, or earth
bonding, or a lot of the questions asked here.

Now that's where you're wrong. The cooker ignition circuit was developed
(along with PTFE) by NASA scientists for lighting Saturn 5 rockets from
a distance after they had several failures with the "light blue touch
paper and retire to a safe distance"

Tiles, of course, were invented for making Space Shuttles look cool and
sparkle on re-entry, although the use of "No More Nails" to stick them
on with might not have been the best idea

--
geoff