Andy Hall

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:43:19 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

The Isar is a condensing boiler, which in some cases cannot be fitted

where
flats are concerned.

Why do you say that? Just because of the flue plume?

Yep. I see many problem after April, resulting in court cases.

That seems rather melodramatic.

I suppose if non-condensing boilers go off of the market altogether
and CORGI fitters are forced to fit condensing models and there are
cases where the plume (if any) is a problem, then there could be an
issue.

But who is going to complain, and to whom? The neighbours of the
person having the boiler installed? To the local authority for
nuisance? Possibly, although that would be tricky since at that
point the law would back the use of condensing products and they would
have been installed according to the maker's instructions and the
relevant standard.

If there are still non-condensing boilers on the market, the fitter
may well just recommend one because of the "risk of nuisance". Who
is going to ever catch up with that? Not the BCO because most
installations are self certified by the installer. Possibly there
could be an issue when the householder wants to sell, but then the
defence is that it was done to avoid a dispute with neighbours.

This really is another example of legislation for its own sake and
without thinking through the implications and considering the totality
of the situation. That is not to say that I don't think that
condensing boilers aren't a good idea, but at least appropriate
installation techniques and standards should have been put in place
to avoid technical problems before legislating to face save for Kyoto
commitments. Another Rocky horror show.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl