John Miller

wrote in message ...
John Miller wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message Snipped

Although I normally tend to agree with Andrew's pronouncements, this is
not
my experience. When I did my bathroom, I replaced a 100w central
tungsten
bulb with 6x35w 12v spots. The room (approx 2700x1750) is much brighter
than before and SWMBO loves it. I do agree, however, about positioning
aspect. I tried to place mine so that there were few shadows over the
basin,
etc and ended up with an elongated U-shaped arrangement.

Since you now have almost twice the wattage of lights which are at
least twice as efficient you have something like four times as much
light so it's hardly surprising it seems brighter. One the other hand
100 watts of fluorescent ligting of some sort would probably make it
seem brighter still, have fewer shadows and use less electricity
(though I suppose bathroom lights aren't on for long periods so
efficiency isn't so important).

--
Chris Green

Thanks for the lecture Chris, but I had worked that out - however, SWMBO
refused point-blank to consider any form of fluorescent lighting. I was
simply making the point that it is possible to achieve a decent light with
the 12v spots. I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

John Miller