Harvey Van Sickle

On 17 Sep 2004, Peter Parry wrote

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:34:08 +0100, "Lawrence Milbourn"
wrote:

I saw a design a few years ago which used just two mirrors
fastened by tape at right angles and placed over the slide on the
bed of an ordinary scanner.

Don't bother - built one - useless except as an interesting
experiment.

Agreed. I have an little HP scanner accessory which does the same
thing -- a sort of prism which reflects the light from the flat-bed
scanner upwards and then back down through the slide. As you might
imagine, the results are pretty poor since the slide is being both top-
and bottom-lit at the same time.

If a true slide scanner isn't affordable, though, you can get standard
scanners with a light in the lid to "downlight" one or two slides at a
time; the software turns off the bottom-scanning light. I've tried
one of these -- a Canon 3200F -- and it works pretty well.

It's not as good as a dedicated slide scanner, of course, but the
results are really quite acceptable.

--
Cheers,
Harvey