Ed Sirett

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:13:37 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Is there any logic to which fireplace connects to which chimney?
I live in a 6 storey house from about 1860 (which I don't consider
very, very old...). On the gable wall, there are two stacks with 6
chimneys each. I think the arrangement is

_|1:3:5:6:4:2|_/\_|2:4:6:5:3:1|_

where 1 is the basement and 6 the top floor. Is this the "normal"
arrangement?

About the only thing I would be sure is that that the higher floors will be
in the centre of each group.
By carefully measuring the chimney breasts and the position of the
builders openings you might be able to deduce weather left or right has
the more chimneys passing through on each floor.

Lighting a/some smoke pellet(s) would be the certain way easier than a
fire in each place.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk