The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
(Winged Cat) writes:

Hi
I am going to fit four LV IP44 halogen spotlights in my bathroom
ceiling. The room is 190 * 175, and I am trying to decide on the best
positioning of the lights. I don't know whether to arrange the lights
equidistant from the centre of the ceiling, or equidistant from the
edges, IYSWIM.

The best position is in the wastebin.

Seriously, start with the assumption they won't be the main lighting
in the room -- they are useless for general lighting. They are also
horribly inefficient -- the lamps themselves aren't, but so little of
their light makes it to where you need it. If you really want some,
use them to accent features, in addition to the main room lighting.

Not to totally disagree with you, because yes, you burn a lot of
candlepower to get overall illumination.

I have one toilet that is basically about 8x4ft, and that takes two 50W
LV's to illuminate it - one at each end.

I have a single 60W ordinary luminaire in another bathroom that is about
6ft x 6ft. Much better coverage.

Two further bathrooms of generous proportions have about 4 LV's in I
think each.

Each lamp tends to cover a 2 meter diameter circle at floor level, and
obcviouly about half that higher up.