John Laird

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:07:58 GMT, (Anna Kettle) wrote:

However the nice new extension that you get built will have to comply
with building regs and will have a good deep foundation. Then you are
bound to get cracking cos the two bits of houses will have
differential movement

Don't follow this - if the existing structure is presumed not to be going
anywhere anymore, and the extension has foundations sufficient to stop it
also going anywhere, then the two are going nowhere together, no ?

[I do understand differential settlement - my own house is half-cellared
front-to-back and the cellar that is there stops 6' shy of the back wall...]

--
The only successful substitute for brains: Silence!

Mail john rather than nospam...