Anna Kettle

Okay, here's the story. I am now considering a property in
Lincolnshire. This is a very, very old cottage, at least 150 years, I
reckon. The setting is isolated and idyllic. But I made some enquiries
from the agent, who told me that the building had been underpinned at
the rear some years ago. I have not yet visited the property.

Some questions:

Buildings of that era had no foundations, true?

Some did, but shallow.

Don't assume that underpinning is essential cos a house with minimal
foundations can be perfectly stable if the underlying earth/stone is
well compacted and not going anywhere. If you find anything which
warns of movement, like wall cracks or if the house is built on a
hillside (Not too many of them in Lincolnshire) or it is built in a
fen (more likely) then there may be a problem that needs to be dealt
with

However the nice new extension that you get built will have to comply
with building regs and will have a good deep foundation. Then you are
bound to get cracking cos the two bits of houses will have
differential movement

Simple. I
don't care if it's a bit draughty.

Don't go for new build then. That sort of thing is illegal these days

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642