Mary Fisher

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
Okay, here's the story. I am now considering a property in
Lincolnshire. This is a very, very old cottage, at least 150 years, I
reckon. The setting is isolated and idyllic. But I made some enquiries
from the agent, who told me that the building had been underpinned at
the rear some years ago. I have not yet visited the property.

Some questions:

Buildings of that era had no foundations, true?

Our house has no foundations - brick built interwar semi. It, to date,
hasn't needed underpinning. I'm a little concerned that several neighbours
are having vertical extensions built.

If house has stood anyway for 150 years, it's likely to remain for a
good few years yet, true?

I'd have thought so - but I don't call 150 years "very, very old"! Reminds
me of when I first went to america and was proudly shown "the oldest house
on the island" - it was 90 yo.

Mary

MM