Brian Sharrock

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:41:17 +0100, "Neil Jones"
wrote:

Just to hijack this thread slightly, we're having a new European oak
staircase fitted at the moment and it is being left 'in the white' so I
should think I'll be applying a finish to it at the weekend. I
originally thought of Danish oil or Sabrina's 'Oak Oil' but will this
provide a suitable finish for the handrail or would I need something a
bit more durable/dirt-repellent?

Thanks

Neil

Yes it will. I've used Sabrina's oil for the treads and for the
handrails and spindles.

It hasn't attracted dirt in either case.

Maintenance has been a recoating about once a year.

We don't wear outdoor shoes on the stairs - obviously if you tracked
mud onto them you would need to clean it off.

All that collects is the inevitable dust, and this is very easily
vacuumed away.

.andy

Concur, I oiled the handrails and spindles of the staircase
last year (in time for Christmas) only I used two coats of
Danish Oil. Let the first one several days to dry off then
a top coat. A slightly damp cloth removes any grubby finger
print residue and it only requires light dusting.
The finish is slight gloss just off matte.

--

Brian