stuart noble

Neil Jones wrote in message ...
Just to hijack this thread slightly, we're having a new European oak
staircase fitted at the moment and it is being left 'in the white' so I
should think I'll be applying a finish to it at the weekend. I
originally thought of Danish oil or Sabrina's 'Oak Oil' but will this
provide a suitable finish for the handrail or would I need something a
bit more durable/dirt-repellent?

Use the offcuts (not the staircase) to experiment :-) and view the samples
in artificial light as well as daylight. Boy, have I seen some ballsups in
this area.
One I would try would be a genuinely clear seal (Rustins 2 pack or similar)
followed by a tinted varnish. Be careful with anything coloured as the first
coat