Asimov

"Charlie Bress" bravely wrote to "All" (23 Sep 04 08:46:37)
--- on the heady topic of " Panasonic tv vertical sweep"

CB Reply-To: "Charlie Bress" cbress(at)comcast.net
CB Thanks to all for advice and opinions. Although my experience with the
CB latest designs in television circuitry is pretty slim as you have all
CB noted, my focus over most of the last fifty decades has been with the
CB semiconductor and personal computer industries. Lance's description
CB gave me the information that I needed to look at the board and pick out
CB the only device that fit his description. So I will take my ancient
CB soldering iron and carefully reflow the connections to this device. I
CB was happy to see that it is a pth configuration and not smt.

CB Charlie

Well, modern tv design has become much more integrated into very large
scale IC's (VLSI). Basically you find integrated functions of a tuner,
an audio processor/output, a microcontroller, a video processor, a
vertical output. Only the horizontal output and deflection is still
mostly discrete but these are under direct control of the
microcontroller. TV's are mostly empty space inside as nearly everything
can fit on a single small board including the power supply regulator.
The rat's nest of wires, pcb modules with myriad jumpers, and countless
adjustment pots are a thing of the past and a good thing too! This means
tv's consume a lot less power and the computer control means nearly
perfect images even as the tube ages. The savings in materials also mean
a large reduction in price to the point where repairing tv's is
basically unprofitable except for high end projection models and the
latest hdtv technology to some extent.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... That was a fascinating period of time for electronics