Charlie Bress

"Jacques Carrier" wrote in message
om...
Hi Charlie,

You could send me the list of all multi pins IC"s mounted on a
heat sink.I will tell you which one is the culprit.

After all pins have been well resoldered , use a DMM to be sure there
is no short circuit between any pins. (buzzer test)

Let us */suppose/ *that your vertical IC is numbered IC301.Then you
should also replace all

electrolytic capacitors whose first *number* begin with a 3
(C301,C302,C303,etc.).Your vertical IC should have

at least 12-15 pins (LA7636 or LA7637 or LA7638 or .............)

Let me know about the results.

Jacques

There was only one multipin IC mounted on a heat sink. There was only one
pin that did not have a good looking shiny solder fillet. I cold not see a
crack with my little magnifier, but this solder joint was malformed and
grainy- an obvious suspect joint.
Reflowing the solder with a touch of a bit more produced a better looking
joint. This joint showed solid continuity with an ohmmeter.
I did not go through the exercise of checking all the associated components
as the symptom that a little percussive maintenance was effective did not
lead me to change caps etc. and all other solder joints in the area looked
good.

The hardest parts of this repair were getting the cabinet back together and
getting the wiring hooked up in an entertainment center that is too heavy to
move. Whatever would we do without wire coat hangers?

The first couple of power-ons gave a nice stable picture.
So thanks again to all for their help.

Charlie