Leon

I have been using TopCote for 15 years in Houston.
IIRC when I first started using TopCote the instructions said to put on 2
Liberal HEAVY coats.
The more often you put it on the better it works. Total coverage is
necessary and the more times you recoat the more likely of total coverage.
BTY I do not buff off anymore but simply let it wear off.

I had similar experience with BoeShield on my new saw. I cleaned the new
top off immediately applied BoeShield and the nest morning had a lot of
rust. I immediately went back to TopCote and seldom if ever find any rust 4
years later.