George E. Cawthon

AArDvarK wrote:

You can do without. Get digital if any.

Yeah, they do do inches. I have a proper vernier that I don't know how to read
but I need to know if I really need a caliper for woodwork...? I am just starting
in an adult-ed class, total "newby" here.

Alex

Anybody that deals with holes and things that go in holes and dadoes
and things that fit in dadoes could use one. I bought a General (some
swiss made deal) when it was on sale several years ago. Made of some
kind of gray plastic with a dial, it remains surprisingly accurate
even though dropped several times. One of the handiest tool I have.
Every time I'm in my shop (garage to you) I pick it up measure
something. Just bought the $16 HF dial caliper which is higher
quality, but I'll be careful about not dropping it. You will be
surprised at how useful it is.